Designing Architectural Shading Features
In this exercise, students will learn how to:
- Use Autodesk® Revit® Architecture software to evaluate the impact of sun and shadows on a building design.
- Design and evaluate architectural features to optimize the use of sunlight throughout the year.
- Estimate potential energy savings of proposed design features using Green Building Studio.
- For the given BIM model of a typical classroom layout, explore roof overhang and shading design options to optimize the use of sunlight throughout the year—allowing sunlight to warm the room during the winter, but blocking the sunlight during the warm summer months. For this analysis, assume the classroom is located in Detroit, Michigan.
- Export your proposed new design as a gbXML file for analysis in Green Building Studio. Analyze the energy used by your new design and compare the results to the estimate for the earlier version of building (analyzed in exercise 3.1.1.).